Me and the MTLH decided to do some research on calico cats in honor of this Thursday Thirteen. Unfortunatlee-we couldn't find 13 things so we will fill in the blanks random cat facts.
1. Effective October 1, 2001, the calico cat became the official cat of Maryland.
2. Calico is not a breed of cat, but an unusual coloring occurring across many breeds, including Domestic Short-hair, Persian, and Manx.
3. Virtually all calico cats are female; a male calico is a genetic anomaly and usually sterile
4. only one out of every 3,000 calicos is male.
5. A calico cat must be a tri-color, with its three colors in distinct patches, not mixed as in a tortoiseshell cat
6. Calico cats traditionally are believed to be bringers of good luck and even money, especially in Japan
7. Calico cats are quirky, independent, a tad stubborn and fun to be around.
8. The difference between a calico and a tortoiseshell is this: With a calico, there is a significant amount of white, and the two colors are broken up into distinct patches. This has to do with the interaction of white spotting. With a tortoiseshell, the three colors are blended and don't form distinct patches. A tortoiseshell may have significant portions of white as well, but the remaining colors are blended (this particular pattern is called a tortoiseshell and white).
9. Cats beat dogs for the #1 spot as the most popular pet in the United States. WELL DUH!