Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Mom is stumped

Hello blogging friends! The Mom that Lives Here here....I need some help and hopefully, somecat or their beans can help.

As you know, there are 3 kitties that live here. Dazey and Jesse are 6 year old, spayed sisters. Conner is 5 years old and nuetered.

We have 3 litterboxes in our basement. 2 covered, 1 not covered.

Recently, one of my darlings has felt the need to poo on the floor in front of the litter box. I have a suspicion of who it is (Jesse) but have no way to 100% verify this fact. If there is just the tiniest sprinkle of litter on the floor, the offender uses it.

Saturday, I bought a brand new uncovered litter box and threw out the old uncovered one. It's the same litter I have used for quite some time. I did, recently, have to get a different kind because the store locally didn't have any. that's all gone now and that is when the problem started (again). They have been back the regular litter about a month now.

The reason I suspect Jesse is because about 4 years ago, she was doing it then. At the time, my sister had an apartment and took her for about 2 weeks. The problem cleared up as soon as she was out of this house. I think it's linked to her dislike of Conner. But as I stated I have no way to verify my suspicions. This has been going on about a month now. Granted, it's not every day that there is a mess on the floor, but probably 5/7 days. I scoop the boxes, I clean the boxes. I put the brand new box down yesterday, scooped the other two and found a smaller box and filled it too. I go in the basement this morning and there is a mess again.

I need some advice/encouragement/ideas etc as to what to do with this problem. It's very frustrating for me. I'm on the hunt for a new vet, as the previous one just didn't seem to care much about my animals, but more about the check for payment. We live in a relatively small town so my options are limited. I could take her to the vet where she was spayed as a kitten but for one, she hates the PTU and 2-it's 20 miles away. You'll say it's a sorry excuse, but with gas prices soaring higher and higher, I head that way once a week and it's on Sundays for church.

I do welcome all input, thoughts, advice etc.

thank you!
Jennifer aka the Mom that Lives Here

10 hi-fives:

Daisy said...

Hmm, this is a tough one. I have never pooped outside the box. But Pixie did once. And it was right after my Mommie and Daddie came back from a week long vacation. So, I think she did it because she was mad.

Since all 3 boxes are in the basement, maybe you could move one somewhere else. In case she just doesn't like the basement, or wants some privacy?

Katnippia said...

We have to agree with daisy. this is tough one. Sia peed outside of the box when our meowmize moved a litter box out of the bathroom. Try moving a litter box away from the others. This way she can have a private one to use. We hopez youz have the problem sovled soon...Snowy

Hi my sweet and handsome Conner!
headrubberz-n- kitty nose kisserz

The Furry Kids said...

We agree with Daisy and Snowy- maybe she wants more privacy. Maybe get a 4th box? Our V-E-T told Momma that there should be at least one box for each kitty, plus one extra, and if possible, have one on each floor so that there are choices. She also said to make sure they're in quiet places so we don't get startled by any noises (like the water heater whooshing or the furnace kicking on or the dryer buzzing or something). Hope that you can get this resolved soon.
Love,
Tazo & Earl Grey

Oscar the Puppy Cat said...

Tough indeed. I really don't have much else to offer. I would like to go a little more into the resentment thing that was touched on. That is very likely. It's possible that she has some resentment at having her litter changed, or Connor, that is upsetting her. I think adding another box or moving one is a great idea. If that doesn't work, maybe then try moving them all. If still wants to go in that spot, then you're going to have to come up with something else. My Mom is having a problem similar to yours. It's a hard situation. Best of luck and sorry I couldn't really offer anything new.

Thanks for visiting my blog, I love hearing how my friends got their names. My Mom knows all about "Highlander." She used to watch the series all the time. Adrian Paul used to make her swoon! LOL Connor is the name she was going to name Caseybean is she had been a boy. My Daddy is Scottish.

Forty Paws said...

Tazo and Earl Gray are correct. According to animal behaviorists, there should be a litter box per cat + 1 more. And definitely one on each floor. Also, many cats don't like covered boxes. For one thing, the odor in there can be too strong (even if it isn't to us), and for another, they may feel trapped.

Definitely in quiet areas where they won't get startled by a door opening or the washing machine spin cycle.

The temporary change in litter could have thrown her off. You definitely need to neutralize the poop odor off the cement (I assume, since it's a basement)? Gatsbi used to poop outside the litter box in one bedroom and one bathroom on the carpet. It wasn't until we ripped up the carpeting and laid down vinyl did she finally stop that. She did it for about 3 years off and on.

Luf, Us & Maw

Parker said...

Parker's Mommy here - One more suggestion. When Parker joined our family, one of my Calicos decided to think outside of the box from anger? Stress? Whatever... My vet said to try the "glade plug-in style" Pheramone (sp?) thingy. It reduces stress by producing the natural calming odor cats produce when they rub their faces against surfaces. Call it coincidence, but it did the trick.

Shaggy and Scout said...

We agree with Tazo & Earl Gray & Forty Paws. We have 3 cats/4 boxes. 2 are in the same room & one is in another. The one by itself in the spare bedroom gets used the most.
I have a friend who's cat pees in her suitcase every time she has to leave town on business. If they don't like something, they sure let you know.

Lux said...

Mom's used that Feliway stuff before and wants to get another refill. It does seem to calm all the cats down a little. (This is the pheremone thing Parker was referring to.)

Also, using some of the enzyme stuff to clean where the "accident" happened and moving the litter box away from there might help. There are several products made just for this purpose.

The Meezers or Billy said...

we agree wif the ofurrs - feliway will help, and moving a box or two to ofurr rooms might help too.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

All good advice up here.
Sometimes I poop outside the box when I am constipated :::blush::: but I think Jesse is feeling stressed.
The feliway stuff works like a charm. It is like "xanax/phermones" for cats I think. Heh....

~Caesar