We took a couple weeks off of doing Thursday Thirteen. We're back this week! We thought we'd teach you all a little about Iowah! (there isn't really an "H" on the end, but lots of people pronounce it that way!)
- The three of us (and even the MTLH) have only lived in Iowah. Nowhere else!
- Iowah is known as "The Hawkeye State", although at our house, it's more of a Cyclone State (Iowah State Cyclones!)
- The official bird of Iowah is the goldfinch.
- The official state tree is the Oak.
- The state flower is the wild rose.
- The capital of Iowah is Des Moines. (It's sorta pronounced DUH MOIN).
- Iowah was the 29th US State. It became a state on 28 December. 1846.
- Iowah is the 30th most populous state in the USA.
- As of 2000, the population in our state was 2,926,324.
- The state motto is "Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain".
- The abbreviation for Iowah is IA, not IW or IO like some people think.
- Major Industries - agriculture (corn, soybeans, hogs, pigs), food manufacturing, and insurance.
**Also, we are not known for growing potaotes. That is IDAHO. The MTLH used to get asked that a lot when she talked on the phone for her jobbie.